Thinking about Spring Cleaning your Airbnb property, but feel overwhelmed and don’t know where to start? Never fear, our My Guesthouse team have compiled a handy Spring cleaning checklist to get you started!
As Airbnb hosts ourselves, we know how important it is to keep our property clean and in top shape at all times. Guests rate Airbnb properties based on their cleanliness, so it is super-important to ensure that they are satisfied in order to gain 5-star reviews.
How often should you Spring clean? This will depend entirely on your property size, the amount of bookings you receive, the surrounding environment, etc, but a deep clean and tidy up at least twice a year will help you keep on top of cleanliness. Use our comprehensive Spring Cleaning checklist below as a guide to help you with your own Spring clean.
Spring Cleaning Checklist:
- Empty all cupboards and drawers (one at a time!) and wipe down surfaces. Discard items that are not being used, replenish what is missing and reorganise the space.
- Clean oven, inside and out.
- Clean stove top and rangehood.
- Clean microwave, inside and out.
- Wipe down all appliances – eg. kettle, toaster, coffee machine, etc.
- Wipe down splash back. Diluted vinegar in a spray bottle and a window scraper works a treat for stubborn stains!
- Empty fridge and freezer, pull out shelves and clean. Wipe down exterior too. Diluted vinegar in a spray bottle or vanilla spray does a great job.
- If possible, move the fridge out from its position and vacuum and mop where it normally sits. It’s quite alarming what you’ll find lurking behind there!
- Clean all rubbish bins, inside and out.
- Remove dust and dirt from bathroom exhaust fan.
- Empty cupboards and drawers and wipe down surfaces. Discard items that are not being used, replenish what is missing and reorganise the space.
- Clean or replace shower caddy (if you have one).
- Scrub bathroom tiles, particularly the grout.
- Empty cupboards and wipe down surfaces. Discard items that are not being used, replenish what is missing and reorganise the space.
- Give the washing machine and dryer a wipe down, inside and out.
- If possible, move the washing machine forward and vacuum and mop where it normally sits.
- Clean out and reorganise linen cupboard.
- Remove cobwebs from ceiling in each room.
- Dust tops of shelves, picture frames, ceiling fans, light fixtures, etc.
- Dust window sills.
- Remove dirty marks from walls and doors – white magic sponge erasers work a treat, so does sugar soap.
- Remove fly screens from all windows and brush them down with a dustpan brush. Best to perform this outside!
- Where possible, move furniture out of the way, e.g. beds, cabinets, shelves, etc. and vacuum and mop over the places they normally sit.
- Wipe down all skirting boards with a damp cloth.
- Do you store board games, puzzles, etc for guests’ use? Now is the time to go through them, throw out what is no longer usable and put things back in order.
- Clean all mirrors.
- Clean windows – a good squeegee, a squirt of dishwashing liquid and a splash of ammonia in a bucket of hot water does a great job on your windows.
- Hand scrub tight corners on your hard floor surfaces and other areas your mop doesn’t properly cover, e.g. under your kitchen bench and bathroom corners, behind doors, under sinks and behind toilets.
- Disinfect light switches, door knobs and remote controls.
- If you have a fireplace or wood heater, now is the time to have the flue cleaned and the unit serviced.
- Clean, or organise to have cleaned, your air conditioner filters.
- Remove sofa cushions and vacuum the sofa bases. Vacuum over sofas where necessary too.
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors.
- If you have carpets, now is the time to have them professionally cleaned.
- If you have a deck, give it a power wash.
- Remove cobwebs from undercover areas.
- Clean outdoor furniture.
- Clean outdoor windows.
- Weed and tidy up yards.
- Clean out gutters.
- Shake out/replace outdoor entry mats.
- Clean out garage.
Download our FREE printable Spring Cleaning Checklist here:
We hope this Spring cleaning checklist helps you keep your property in it’s best condition so that your guests are impressed, each and every time – happy cleaning!